Redeeming The Time

|

Ecclesiastes 3:1 says “To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven”.

Time is God’s way of not letting everything happen at once. God has given everyone different seasons or different sets of time. There’s a time for being single and a time to be married. Use your single years to make an impact in the world with confidence that God hasn’t forgotten you. I hear some of my married friends say “Enjoy being single because once you are married you won’t be able to go back”. That’s what I’m aiming for. Getting every little skill, talent, and ability under my belt so I can take them into my relationship and reap what I’ve sown.

Ok, you probably think that I’m being superficial. But what I’m saying is the truth. There are only two superficial things in this world are the TV shows Brady Bunch and Full House.
I can imagine the biggest blessing for my future wife is when she realizes that I haven’t wasted my single years but say to her “See, this is what I was doing while you were away”. This is very similar to The Parable of the Talents (Matthew 25:14-30).

The other thing to remember is that God is the one who gave us our giftings and ability and is on loan. Its like renting a car. I sign the papers, they hand over the keys so I can get myself around, I am responsible to look after the car because it’s not mine. When I take it back the first thing they will do is check to see the distance I’ve traveled and any signs of scratches or damage to the car. This is what God will do, check to see our fruit and to see what we’ve done with what He’s given us. Our giftings give us vision and hope because when we realize what God has given us we get to work using them we are doing what God has called us to do. But it comes with a price.

God knows what’s best for me, He knows where I am best used. He hasn’t called everyone to stand up on stage and worship lead. He hasn’t called everyone to build stuff.

God is more interested in what you are doing with your giftings when no one is looking. It’s really the foundation or the “Supporting Act” before the show that matters. I’m a musician, singer, worship leader, youth leader, and youth band director so I know what I’m talking about. If everyone was at the front they could be seen, who would be driving kids home from youth, stacking chairs after a meeting, or cleaning up the supper. When God sees these, it’s like He’s saying “If they can serve a good cream cake in supper time, he can serve a good prophesy”.

God always uses people who are busy working and showing initiative, not waiting around for something to happen and waiting to be called as an evangelist to India. I love dropping kids home from Youth. What does it cost me? Fuel, 30 minutes traveling to the other side of town, a McDonalds super sundae, my friendship, some late nights and some other things too.

When kids aren’t pressured and you take them for McDonalds its amazing what happens. I’m sure this is what God appreciates and touches his heart more only because you are taking a genuine interest in what young people are going through, and they can pick a fake from a mile away.

These are the times kids are going to remember when I’m not there or the have left the church. Not how good I sang a song or how many times I said Praise God or the times I sang a worship song with the voice of Jar Jar Binks or Kermit the Frog.

Ok I know everyone’s not a youth leader but my point is saying is if we have a genuine passion for God it should over flow in everything we do and should equip us to go the extra mile for the one who went all the way to the cross for us.

2 Comment(s):

Anonymous said...

Man this is awesome truth for all today, Mike keep it up! and keep it comin'!! you are the real deal my friend!!!!!

eph2810 said...

Wow Mike, what a great post. I am totally with you on that subject...To really show interest (and truly mean it) in Youth or in a non-believer lives might make them more interested becoming a believer than wacking them with a hammer over the head with 'religion'...Have you read the book "Out of the Saltshaker into the World"? Your post totally reminded me of this great book...
In His grip,
<>< eph2810